Date: Friday, March 20, 2009 At 07:00 PM
Duration: 1 Day
Bach Around the Clock XIIth
-“When you put your stock into Bach, the returns go up the charts. Hedge your bets; bet on music and community. It is the ultimate stimulus plan – good for the body and good for the soul. So bail out to Bach Around the clock and leave that distressed mortgage at home. Just press delete, and the music will be sweet! Hoping to welcome you at Bach Around the Clock XII” - . Albinas
begins on Friday night, March 20th at 7:00 pm running continuously throughout Saturday March 21, ending at midnight. This is the 12th year of this event, which has been reviewed by Nation Public Radio on several occasions and has received various awards and grants.
Over 300 performers and groups are scheduled to perform from as far away as Wisconsin, Arizona, California, D.C., New York and West Africa. We thank all those participating and everyone who continues to make this event popular and uplifting. We invite you to stop by in the course of the program and listen to some exceptional music, have some coffee and other refreshments that WOTC and others generously provide.
Come and go as you please… Sleeping bags welcomed (for the long haul:Friday night to Saturday!)
FREE of Charge – Police Security provided - Informal
This is a community oriented cultural event that we are especially proud that it offers very diverse music and musicians all celebrating the 324th birthday of J.S.Bach – come taste everything from early baroque, to opera, blues, rock, jazz and classical organ to the 13th century balafon and of course some Bach, too. In addition to music, you will find dance, yoga, martial arts, the art of whistling, poetry, and other art forms.
BREAKING NEWS: Yellow Dog Opera Company has just been created for the 12th Year of Bach Around the Clock
The Yellow Dog Opera Company, directed by Albinas Prizgintas will present a concert version of Thomas Pasatieri’s one act opera buffa, La Divina. at 10:30 pm
On Saturday March 21. The cast includes soprano Sheena Ramirez, tenor Gerald Stroup, mezz-soprano Kristin Samuelson, and bass Heath Hatfield.
Albinas Prizgintas will accompany at the piano and direct.
The opera is modern, incorporating dissonance and romantic and poignant moods.
It is also comic and farcical. An important work by a very gifted composer. It was premiere at Juilliard in 1966.
And please I was just for
At 8:30 pm The Yellow Dog Prophet Choir directed by Albinas will present
a very powerful work by Honegger “King David>
Highlighting special features this year:
For the very first time, Bach Around the Clock will be hosting three members of the Prizgintas family, performing together:
Albinas (who rarely leaves the “organ/harpsichord/piano” during the 29 hours of the festival!)
Albinas Jehan (son) pianist and lawyer-to-be, who will fly from Washington D.C
Viktoras Prizgintas (brother) conducting the Allegro Youth Orchestra of Hudson Valley who have traveled from NY to join us for the event. This special group will be paying their own way to join us at this special event!
The Allegro Youth Orchestra has performed at the White House on four separate occasions and appeared in concert with members of The New York Philharmonic, Mostly Mozart, Orchestra of St. Luke’s, and the Broadway stage. Founded and directed by Viktoras Prizgintas, this innovative student ensemble has expanded its repertoire to
include Jazz, Broadway, video, new age, Irish traditional, and more -- many available to view on YouTube!
Allegro Youth Orchestra of the Hudson Valley is bringing a delightful mix of music that pre-dates Bach with Renaissance French Dances, includes Bach and his contemporaries and continues that rich tradition well into today's music.
Albinas Prizgintas will join his brother Viktoras and the Orchestra in a performance of Bach's Keyboard Concerto in D minor.
- Albinas Prizgintas, organist/pianist/harpsichordist/ composer/singer will play Bach’s greatest organ works and other composers, accompany many soloists, and direct his Yellowdog Prophet Choir.
Some great DUOS:
- Trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis will play with pianist Albinas Prizgintas
- Trumpeter Leroy Jones and pianist Victor Atkins
- Singer Anais St. Jones & pianist Harry Mayronne
- From West Africa: Seguenon Kone, multi –talented instrumentalist/traditional
- African dancer will accompany tap dancer Nanette Ledet on balafon,
- berimabau and pandeiro
- TAI CHI and a SWORD Dance will be executed by Nanette Ledet accompanied by
- Albinas on the organ
- YOGA will be performed by Aaron Lind with Albinas on the organ
- International Grand Champion Whistler Terry Rappold
- Many members of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra:
Strings: David Rosen, Bruce Owen, Hanna Yim, Ila Rondeau, etc
Brass: Vance & Samantha Woolf, Robert Nunez, Matt Ernst, Carson Keeble..etc..
Wind: John Reeks, Jane Gabka, etc…performing GREAT Classical music
Including Bach, Mozart, Tchaikowsky, Debussy, Stravinsky, Mendelssohn, Bernstein,
And more..and more…
- Highlights from “Ain’t Misbehavin” by Troy Poplous McDonough ‘35’s Production
with Albinas Prizgintas musical director/pianist
- KALPANA, the Indian story teller
- Kris Shaw and Shakespeare
- Tom Sancton, clarinetist will join John Rankin, guitarist and others
- Celebrated Choirs: From Stanford University: “MIXED Company”
From Wisconsin: “Laurentian Singers”
- Pianists: Lucian Zidaru from Romania will play Beethoven,
and Marybeth Brown from Arizona will play Bach, Chopin, Ravel, Shubert
- Harpists: Patrice Fisher & the New Orleans Celtic Harp Ensemble; Luke Brechtelsbauer
- Albinas will accompany Sopranos: Valerie Jones Francis, Sheena Ramirez, Brendolyn Mackenna,
Tenor Gerald Stroup and many others
- NAVY New Orleans Brass Quintet performing Bach and other great masters of the 17 and 18 century
- The High Ground Drifters playing Bluegrass
And so many more soloists, groups, ensembles of all styles and genre from the Classic.. to Rock and Roll.. to Rhythm and Blues..etc..
This promises to be a great event and we welcome you to join us. If you need any additional information, please use the contact information below: Albinas and Manon 670 25 20 or cell 606 3442 firstname.lastname@example.org
Albinas & Manon Prizgintas
Director of Music Ministries
Trinity Episcopal Church
1329 Jackson Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130
(504) 670-2520 Office
(504) 710-6299 Cell